“With the number of places left in our prisons falling to a startling low, the incompetence of David Cameron’s Government is laid bare for all to see. They’ve closed down so many prisons so quickly they’ve left themselves teetering on the edge of having nowhere left to lock up criminals. Prisons are now operating way beyond the danger level and still Chris Grayling stays silent on what he’ll do if there is no space left.
“This Government’s policies have seen violence in our prisons increase, worse overcrowding, and prisoners wasting away their time in cells instead of undertaking work, education and training. As a result of David Cameron’s actions, it’s less likely that criminals will be rehabilitated.”
1. The population as of today (7 March 2014) stands at 85,535 which is the highest since December 2012, and 553 higher than at the time of the last General Electionhttps://www.gov.uk/government/publications/prison-population-figures-2014
2. Total prison capacity stands at 85,609 – meaning the system is now operating at 99.7% of capacity
3. There are just 265 places left – the smallest number so far under this Government since May 2010
4. In total, 17 prisons have been closed (and three partly closed) by the Government since May 2010 meaning there are over 5,000 fewer spaces than there were in Dec 2012.
5. Just this week, data uncovered by Sadiq Khan showed that serious disturbances in prisons in England and Wales were up 57% in a year, and 72% since 2010 http://www.sadiqkhan.org.uk/new_figures_expose_spike_in_violence_in_prisons